Brief School History and Background
Yuhua Primary School, first known as Joo Hwa Public School (公立裕华学校), was built in 1930, with the financial help and support of community leaders, businessmen and the residents in old Jurong. About 100 pupils first enrolled in the school. The school provided primary education using Chinese Language as the medium of instructions for the children of the farming community living on and around the old Jurong Road.
During the period of World War II, the school unfortunately ceased to function. It reopened after the war, in 1945. There was then an overwhelming demand for places in the school and to meet the needs of the community, a branch school was set up at the Old Day Road.
In 1951, the school premise underwent a major renovation and expanded its facilities. English Language was introduced as a medium of instruction in three of its classes in 1979. In 1981, the school was renamed Joo Hwa Primary School. The school moved to its present location at Jurong East Street 24 and assumed the name Yuhua Primary School in 1983.
Another milestone in the school's history and development took place in 2002, when Yuhua Primary School merged with Yuqun Primary School. The school retained its name and continues to function on its current site. The new Yuhua Primary School forged ahead with providing quality education to its pupils but at the same time, was redefining itself to create a new identity for the new school. On the first day of school in 2003, Yuhualites proudly donned their new school uniform and sang the new school song. The school mission, Growing Our Hearts and Minds, was unveiled.
The school grew from strength to strength, particularly in the area of aesthetics. In 2011, the high standards of performance and sustained achievement of the school's Brass Band was acknowledged by Ministry of Education (MOE). The Brass Band was recognised as a Programme for School-based Excellence (PSE). PSE was later renamed as Learning for Life Programme (LLP) in 2014 and the school's Music and the Performing Arts programme was acknowledged as our distinctive LLP.
Starting 2013, the school upgraded its infrastructure to better support the delivery of holistic education recommended by the Primary Education Review and Implementation (PERI) Committee. By end 2014, the school saw new facilities that will cater to a wider range of programmes that improve learning and develop soft skills in pupils - redesigned classrooms, a new band room, a dance studio, a performing arts studio, an outdoor jogging path and an indoor sports hall (ISH).
With the upgrades made to the physical infrastructure, the school transited into single-session at the start of 2015. As the school advances into a new phase of education, we remind ourselves of our roots and heritage with the heritage arch gateway that continues to stand firmly in our grounds.